Friday, December 25, 2009

Why the heck do you homeschool?

I get the silliest questions about homeschooling. Here are just a few...

Q- How will your children know how to stand in a line?
A- Seriously? You mean my kids have to have special education to learn this?

My kids stand in line in a grocery store checkout line (more often than I care). They stand in line at restaurants (their favorite), banks, libraries...and the list goes on.

Q- How are kids going to learn about the 'real world'?
A- 'Sigh'...Our classroom IS the real world.

Q- What about the Prom?
A- I hadn't considered basing my decision regarding my children's entire education on the possibility that they might not get to attend an event that they may or may not be interested in attending in 12 years. Besides...homeschoolers - we can do anything we want. If I want my kids to go to prom, well, guess I'll be on that Homeschool Prom committee!

Q- How can you stand to have your kids around you all day every day?
A- Uh - because they are MY kids? And I....love them? I actually enjoy being with my kids. I think they are pretty darn cool. What's really sad is that they ask me this right in front of my pretty darn cool kids.

Q - Wow - three kids. Isn't that hard to teach them all at one time?
A - YES! It would be so much easier to teach- let's say 30 something kids at one time.

Q-What about sports?
A- Well, I will be sure to get the proper ball for the proper sport.

Q- Since you homeschool all day, when do your kids get to do their homework?
A- OK - like most questions, I have to stare at the person asking this question just to make sure they are serious. Usually, they are serious. Well...I don't know - YOU tell me?

Q-How are your kids going to read the really good books out there?
A- Yep, actually been asked this one. Well, Lord help me if I take my kids to the library and actually bring those books home to read. Plus, if you know a homeschool family personally - just ask to see their home library. wink, wink. Homeschoolers LOVE books.

Q-How do you go on field trips?
A- Hmmm....we get in the car, turn on the ignition and press the gas peddle.....

Q-What are you going to do when it's time to go to College?
A- Well, first things first...we are going to through a huge party! Then send them on their way. Here's a little trivia - Most of the big name Colleges PREFER homeschoolers!

Q-Don't you get tired of staying at home all the time?
A- Yes, sometimes I take the chains off the kids just so they go to the bathroom.

Q-How are you going to prove that your kids went to highschool to get into college?
A. My husband and I are going to hack into the local high school computer system and forge their name on a “real” high school diploma. Actually, homeschoolers can get a 'real' high school diploma signed by the state.

Q - Don't you have to have a teaching degree to teach your kids?
A- (This one burns me up) If someone has been lead to teach their children at home, God will empower them with the right tools to do it. No one wants their own children's education more top notch than their own parents.

Some of the answers may seem a tad silly, but just look at the question. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online